Saturday, February 27, 2010

Weekend Fun!

What a great weekend it's been so far and it's only Saturday afternoon. Last night, Devon, Haley, Sue and I went to Jen's house for dinner. We have a regularly scheduled monthly dinner and we decided to bring it to Jen since Layne is just a week old. So the four of us met at Fonda San Miguel for a drink and then got carry-out. Jen's husband and mother-in-law went out to dinner and we had some fun girl time!


It was great to spend time with my girlfriends and snuggle with baby Layne.

Then this morning, after my walk with Buster (I'm sticking to it!), Devon came over and we finished Operation Kitchen Cabinets. The pulls I bought were a bit more tricky b/c it required quite a bit of math and measurement. As opposed to the knobs, you have two holes to work with so it was quite a challenge to both get them even on the drawers and ensure that the two screws were drilled in at just the right spot. I seriously don't think that one person could do this job.


In fact, we discovered some pencil hash marks (like the ones we'd been making to denote where to drill) on the inside of one of the drawers and decided that the contractor must have decided against putting pulls in because it was just too hard. Yes, I realize he built an entire house but putting in drawer pulls may have really pushed him over the edge.


Both Devon and I felt much more confident in our drilling skills this time but we just couldn't seem to line the holes up quite right. Devon brilliantly suggested to start with the bottom, less obvious drawers, and thank goodness we did. After about 5 drawers with some mishaps, Devon had a break through and broke the code to ensure success (on the first try).


While I'm thrilled with the end result, I beg of you not to look at them too closely.




We then went outside, on this beautiful 60 degree day and did some yard cleaning. It was step one in Operation Yard Work. Because there had been construction on my lot, there is still some debris. Things like glass and screws were to be expected. Some other things didn't make as much sense to me. If I were in the cast of Lost or Alias surely all of these things would mean something. But they just made us laugh especially the necklace charm with a picture of a house. The other side said, 'I love my home.' Too adorable!







So now that the yard is ready to be tamed, I've made a call to a lawn service to make an appointment. I've even started thinking about long term yard projects like a patio (which someone else will build) and a garden (which I will build). It's days like this when the weather is perfect that I'm highly motivated to stop avoiding the jungle that is my yard.

2 comments:

  1. Surely, Devon could build you a patio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite blog post of yours yet, and not just because there's a picture of a baby! (I can't wait to meet baby Layne!!!).

    Great job on the projects, and good luck taming the yard - it's a never-ending battle at my house, but it's worth investing in.

    ReplyDelete