Tuesday, February 9, 2010

One Year Later

After this year, I promise this date will be about Lucie. Well, mostly. But a year ago today, 2/09/09, still means a few things to me. It was not only the day Lucie was born. The day my dad started radiation for his recent cancer diagnosis. The day my dog, Max, died.

It's amazing how I've healed in a year from that loss. The most tragic, sudden, chaotic experience I've had. Thanks to the magic of time (not time travel, though...) and the great support of loved ones, I'm doing pretty ok. I still miss Max but I've been able to think of him fondly today and remember his OCD ways - the way he ate his food, walked in the yard and the amount he slept. I miss that most sometimes. Buster, while great and adorable, has a little bit more energy. I used to have to wake Max up before I left the house for work to coax him to go outside. Those days are no longer.

On April 19, 2009, I held a memorial service for Max. It would have been his 9th birthday. Some of my closest friends and people who loved Max the most gathered on the Lamar pedestrian bridge over Town Lake (Lady Bird Lake? it may not have been yet...) and we shared our memories and spread some of Max's ashes.

I asked everyone, even those that couldn't attend, to contribute a 3 line haiku about Max. I then compiled it into one large haiku and the following is now hung in my house, framed, with pictures of Max.

Max, such personality
Small, grey, lots of love
He will be missed by many
Always in our hearts
Max counts Lambies when he dreams
Ready to play fetch
Run, run, max, run fast
Max chasing Lambie
Lovingly defiant walks
Eat greenies in heaven
Hiccup hiccup hiccup - Max
Eating greenie vomit - yum
Max was a cutie
Max“tastic” you were to me
His wags won’t be forgotten
Melissa’s best friend
Always there for her
Waiting in the car for Mom
Loves to play fetch all day long
Still watching over
Taking care of his mommy
Sending her Buster
Bailey wants to play
How exhausting; he’d rather sleep
Perched on the sofa
Max was a great dog
Bonds unparalleled
Good dog, Max, good dog

No comments:

Post a Comment