Sunday, February 14, 2010

2:15

Okay, so now I'll admit it. I had a goal time in mind. Of course I just wanted to complete it and feel proud of how I did but numbers will keep me on track. So I had two goals - to beat my last half marathon time (2:31) and to finish around 2:20. The 2:15 goal was my dream goal.

But I wanted to manage my expectations; to be realistic. So much of running is mental and while I've spent months physically preparing for this, I knew that my attitude would play a big role today.

I typically know how any run will feel within the first few steps. If it feels good and 'easy' then I know it's going to be great. If I'm breathing heavy, feeling like my legs are dead weights and just counting down the minutes until I'm done, then I know that it's not going to be a great run.

Today was the former. In the first few steps, the first few miles, I felt amazing. I knew it was going to be a great run and it was. Let's be honest, though, while all my training definitely prepared my body for this, a few other factors helped:

1. The 8 hours of sleep I had on Saturday night - I'm not a great sleeper. I wake up a lot and toss and turn a bit. Last night, I barely moved from when I went to sleep at 8:45.

2. The weather. The day couldn't have been better if I'd placed an order. It was chilly at the start line but the 45 degrees and mix of sun and clouds was perfect.

3. Kelsey. I could not have done this without her. I was fully prepared (Ipod play list and all) to run without her if she wanted to pull ahead. But she didn't. And I'll be eternally grateful. It may not have been the most talkative run but it was great to know she was right there (literally, on my right. Thanks to all my runs with Jess, I prefer to run only on people's left side now).

4. Team LIVESTRONG. The support and encouragement from my colleagues, their (early) time at the mile 3.3 water stop and the tasty and filling pasta dinner from last night played a huge part in my success.

5. Music. As I said, I didn't even listen to my Ipod. Both because Kelsey was with me and because there were great bands along the course. My favorite, though, was a guy who rigged his Ipod to some speakers and was blasting "The Eye of The Tiger". This is my go-to run song (Haley's even heard me sing it to her a time or two when running) and it was perfect timing - just before (another) big hill.

6. Friends and family along the course. From Chris, Missy and Lucie at multiple locations to the purple (Mylar) balloons that Devon, Haley and Sue (and the mini-Potts) had to the cheering from afar from my pregnant friends(see a picture example below), I couldn't have felt more supported today. I'm only sorry that I missed Jess and Ken who got up early to get to the course but I somehow didn't see them. I felt them in spirit though.
7. And last but not least, the inspiration of cancer survivors. Back to the reason I signed up for this race - my dad and the millions of other survivors out there and their strength and determination, which I channeled today.

I won't bore you all with a play by play but beyond the feeling of success of completing this race in 2:15 (and 32 seconds) I had some other accomplishments. I ran a 10K in 1 hour flat and hardly walked (literally only 30 seconds after a powerade station to refuel and gear up for yet another hill).

So words can't express how proud I am and how grateful I am to everyone who supported me in one way or another. I wondered if I'd feel inclined to do a full marathon (as I decided to do after my last half) and the verdict is 'no way!' So now I'll take a week off of running, determine next steps, look forward to swim season and the next half marathon I train for.






2 comments:

  1. Wow. I am SO impressed. I can't imagine having any of the stuff it would take to train to run that far...you rule!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!!! You guys are completely amazing - congratulations on achieving your dream goal!

    ReplyDelete