Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Hood

I'm often asked (by those who don't live in Austin) what my neighborhood is like. I've taken to saying, 'I live in a transitional neighborhood.'

What this means to me is that while I don't feel unsafe (really, I don't!) it's not the most sought after neighborhood in town. Although according to my (two) appraisals the home values are only going to increase and this area of town is one of the most up and coming.

But I digress.....

Things you may find in my hood that make it 'transitional':

1. An occasional home (or two on my street) that is boarded up
2. Neighborhood cats
3. Some of your neighbors include towing companies
4. A fairly close cemetery
5. For every boarded up a house, a re-do (like mine!)
6. Yards with lots of stuff. Sadly, I'm part of this problem right now.

And, today, a horse. Yes, you read right. There was a horse in my next door neighbor's yard. My neighbor doesn't have a barn or a trailer so I'm not sure what he was doing there. He was then later walking down the street (with a guide) to who knows where. The funny thing is that this isn't the first time I've seen this horse. I just have no idea where he lives or what his purpose it.

Since I moved in during the winter, though, I don't think I have a great feel for the neighborhood yet. Until today. It was a beautiful day in Austin - sunny and in the 70s. While our winters are nothing like the east coast (especially this year), we have had a colder and wetter than normal winter and, up until last week, it was still in the 40s and 50s most days. To Austinites, that's winter. So we don't go outside as much.

But today was one of those days we all attribute to the reason we live in Austin. And my neighborhood no longer felt 'transitional'. It felt like a community.

I live in walking distance of Givens Park, which is a pretty massive green park with basketball and tennis courts, baseball fields, swings, a pavilion and an Olympic distance pool. Buster and I have been taking our walks through Givens Park and it's usually pretty empty. But today was different. It was alive and energetic and it made me smile to walk through it today with Buster. We waved to people, watched some kids play soccer and relished in the fact that my neighborhood is pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment