Friday, February 19, 2010

Long Distance Post

I'm in New Orleans for work and am grateful that I'm here after Mardi Gras. I don't have the stamina in me anymore to stay out until 2am (let's be honest, I'm often in bed, even on weekends, by 10). But it's fun to be here, eat fresh seafood, beignets (which are really just fancy donuts) and be professionally developed (maybe that last part isn't fun but it's why I'm here so I'm grateful for it).

But it's certainly been a busy week. Not only did two of my friends have babies (welcome to Anna Langston Everett and Layne Drummond Long) but Lent started.

Shockingly, I'm not a practicing catholic (although if my goddaughter ever asks, I will do my best to 'guide her spiritually' as it's part of my job). But I like traditions and challenges and rules and structure - wow, I'm a thrill to be around aren't I?

So every year I still give up something for lent. The past few years it's been food related - cheese (that was a doozie) and chocolate chip cookies (while specific it was very hard for this cookie lover). This year I decided (at Kelsey's advice) to add something to my life. It's all about 'making a sacrifice' I realize so I wasn't going to add something like 'more clothes, massages and manicures'. Instead I'm committed to walking Buster more.

I used to walk him regularly -once, sometimes twice a day - but then the house hunting and move happened. Next, I was training for the half marathon and between leaving my house when it was barely light out to get to work early and running after work before it got dark, it was rare that Buster and I saw the light of day together. Even on weekends when I had more time, I often felt restricted by my running schedule.

And, to be honest, I'm not quite comfortable in my neighborhood yet. No, I'm not scared, Mom and Dad, but there are more dogs out and more heavily trafficked roads so I just needed to find a good path. I think that I've found one - and it leads through a large park that borders my house.

So this week Buster and I went on two walks (I won't walk him on doggy daycare day b/c that wears him out enough) and I'm so happy that I'm doing this. Not only will it help me get into a routine with him but it's good exercise while the weather is still cool enough.

While maybe it's not a true sacrifice - it is a change and I think that's good enough for this non-practicing Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment