Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ups and Downs

There has been so much going on lately I need a vacation. As I mentioned in my most recent blog posting, I was already exhausted from last week's activities and then today happened.

Kelsey and I went to town lake with Buster. We found yet another excuse not to run - the cold and wind - and decided to go on a 3 mile walk. We drove to our usual east side spot near our offices and hit the trail.

It sure was windy but it felt good to be outside. Until we got back to my car. Back to the scene of the crime.

Kelsey noticed it first and then I shouted some obscenities (apparently, many obscenities). My car had been broken into. The back passenger side window had been smashed in and my purse was stolen. So annoying.

Yes, in retrospect, I guess I shouldn't have left my purse in the car but it was locked, my windows are tinted and it was 10am on a sunny day in parking lot with other cars and people milling about. How no one noticed this happening is beyond me.

While losing my purse and all its contents (wallet, camera, checkbook) sucks, I'm grateful for so many things. Kelsey and I make a good crime thwarting team. Within minutes we had talked to the police and had a plan in place. We drove to her house to get her computer and then to mine where we tag teamed making calls and looking things up on the Internet.

If this wasn't for such a sad reason, I would have enjoyed myself. Making plans, lists and then checking them off as they get done is one of my favorite things. But not this time.

At 8pm tonight I think I've done all I can for now. I have a new blackberry, have cancelled all my credit cards, changed all my passwords and set up a time tomorrow morning to get my car window replaced. There are plenty more things I need to do (new driver's license for one) but they'll have to wait until I'm back from Atlanta.

So off I go tomorrow with an empty replacement purse. All I have are a few checks, my passport and a pen. But it could be worse. So much worse. I'm glad no one was hurt, that Kelsey's purse wasn't also stolen, that my house keys were with me and that I'm an organized person and had all the information I needed to remedy this situation.

I can't thank Kelsey enough for all of her help today. She may not have had a choice as I considered her a victim of this crime, too, and I know she had some 'purse survivor's guilt' but she was amazing and I couldn't have gotten through this without her (or anyone else who called and expressed offers to help).

But it's exhausting dealing with crime. I'm just hopeful for days ahead that just feel normal. I'm ok with normal and welcome it. Come on in and join me for awhile. Take a seat on Cafe Noir and put up your feet.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about that Melissa!! I remember when my car got broken into at the old building. Thankfully nothing more valuable than my iPod was stolen, but it is such a horrible feeling when you feel like your personal space has been violated by a malicious stranger. Hopefully you can get everything replaced and straightened out quickly and as hassle free as possible!

    ReplyDelete