Saturday, March 27, 2010

Grow, Little Tree, Grow

This morning has been a productive morning in the Sileo household. Besides my usual Saturday morning activities, Chris and Lucie came over for a visit. While I fed her some banana and cheerios and she chased after Buster, Chris hung my curtain rod in my kitchen above my french doors.

I've been talking about this curtain rod for months now. I bought the fabric for the curtains at Ikea in January and now I have no excuse not to sew. I'm hoping the empty curtain rod staring at me will motivate me. So far that hasn't worked. But it's only been 2 hours.

Despite hitting a wire and having to remember where my circuit breaker was to reset a fuse, it went quite smoothly. But that's easy for me to say when all I did was play with Lucie.

Then Kelsey came over for what's turning into our usual Saturday morning walks with Buster and we finally planted my tree!

The city of Austin is piloting a program in certain parts of town (note: transitional) by donating one tree to each household. It's our responsibility to plant and grow it. Mine arrived several weeks ago and despite the fact that I should have planted it right away, I think it's doing quite well. It's certainly been getting watered with all the rain we've had.

Thanks to Kelsey's surprisingly good use of a shovel, the tree is planted, mulched and watered! We also (finally!) broke down a large box that's been sitting in my back yard since, oh, December. For such an independent person, I sure do need people to motivate me to get the littlest things done.

So while I'm temporarily sans camera, I did take a picture of the newly planted tree with my blackberry. I've named her Rosie and I've promised to take good care of her.


Next up, gutters and a new, crushed granite patio. Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment