Saturday, March 13, 2010

It Smells Like Spring

I love how newly mowed grass smells and I love what it symbolizes - Spring! That's a little less relevant in Texas than it was in Virginia growing up but the nostalgic feeling is there nonetheless.

Yesterday my lawn was finally mowed (not by me, mind you....) and it looks great! I was pleasantly suprirsed at how much actual grass was out there. I assumed it was mostly weeds but I think that there is some real potential there.

One of my favorite things about my yard is how much Buster loves it. It cracks me up that this little 11 pound dog has such a big yard. Yesterday, as he was enjoying it, Kelsey and I were watching from my deck. My next door neighbor was in her driveway and must not have seen Kelsey and me because we overheard her talking to Buster. It was adorable! She was asking how he was, what he was doing....as if he'd respond. But who am I to judge? I ask these same questions (and more) of Buster all the time. It just warmed my heart to know my neighbor was so sweet.

So despite the fact that my hot water heater seems to be sporadically working and I can't figure out why, it's been a great few days. I also got my tax refund and am officially out of credit card debt! Who knew that it would take buying a home for that to happen? Ah, the irony....

So now I just have a mortgage, car payment and student loans. But that's all 'normal', right?

Now I have to decide what to do with the rest of the tax refund money. I may put some in savings but the other ideas I have are:

1. Get a new couch - mine is a bit broken and old
2. Get a box spring - my mattress has been sans box spring since I got it 3 years ago and is a bit droopy.
3. Create a patio of crushed granite and native plants
4. Get gutters - this sounds less and less exciting to me
5. Pest control - this isn't fun but a must
6. Get a new, flat screen TV
7. Replace the rest of the chain link fence in my backyard

Any votes? I clearly can't do all of the above.

1 comment:

  1. Don't underestimate the value of gutters and pest control!!! But... I mean, it's your tax refund. I might go for the TV.

    ReplyDelete