Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Procrastination

Why is it that some things I get done so quickly? I'm pretty good at staying on top of the day to day stuff - paying bills, doing laundry, cleaning. But other things I can put off for, well, years.

About 5 years ago, when I used to work with Jess as a hospice social worker, we made a habit of checking out the newly opening coffee shops. Because we worked out of our homes, we would stop into coffee shops to use their free wi-fi and both catch up on patient notes in between home visits and catch up with each other. It was in the early, honeymoon stages of our friendship.

So a new place, Progress Coffee, opened and we started frequenting it. It must have been fate b/c it was on the east side of town and, at the time, neither of us lived in that area. Now, both of us do.

One day, while doing some work and drinking our soy lattes, we noticed some posters for sale for an upcoming art show. What piqued our interest wasn't the art show but more so the poster. Jess's birthday was about to occur and it had her bday (and the day of the event) listed on it and DJ Mel (another nickname) was hosting. So while maybe all of this sounds like a bit of a stretch to feel such a connection, we were both very excited by the mention of 'us' in the poster. And we liked how it looked.

So we each bought one, framed them with a basic framing kit and were happy. Then when I moved a year and half ago, the glass frame broke. And up until today, it remained unframed.

Recently, Kelsey and I took advantage of a great sale on custom framing and while I'm still always shocked at how much framing costs, I'm so pleased with the results. So, once again, it hangs in my bedroom. And it still has the same meaning to me - it's symbolic of my first year in Austin, my new friendship and my new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment