Friday, January 22, 2010

Honeybee

Most people know I have a tattoo on the upper right side of my back. It's a honeybee. Melissa means honeybee in Greek. I'm not Greek but I liked the meaning of it b/c it implied that Melissa's are nurturers, which I think I am.

I promise I'm going somewhere with this. Stick with me....

I've been watching Alias on DVD for the past few months. I never watched it when it was on TV but now I'm hooked. I'm suddenly suspicious that there are all sorts of front businesses out there (i.e. The Anton School of Business that Kelsey and I see on our runs - really? what is that place?).

I think it's fun to watch Sydney Bristow kick ass and I enjoy the snippets of Sarah McLachlen and soothing lighting they highlight when she's home after a hard day of work capturing the bad guys in places like Estonia, Moscow or Amsterdam.

As a crime-fighting agent, Sydney has a 'handle'. A name that she uses on her walkie when she's on a mission. Even though every bad guy seems to know who she is, she still uses her 'handle' when she's in the field. She's had a few different handles - Mountaineer and Phoenix were my favorites. So this led me to think about what my handle would be.

Obviously there are some minor details missing - I'm not an under-cover agent, I don't know how to run up a wall, I don't speak 10 languages and I bruise too easily (seriously, how does she never get bruises from all her crime-fighting? I get a bruise when I walk into my mattress).

But if I were an undercover agent, would I be 'honeybee'? After all, it's my name, I have a melancholy bee on my back and they can sting. But it doesn't sound tough enough.

Alas, for now, I have enough nicknames.

No comments:

Post a Comment