Monday, January 18, 2010

The Color Purple

Last night, I went to see The Color Purple at the Texas Performing Arts Center at UT. Haley and I bought season tickets to the Broadway Across America series and this was the second in our installment.

I have to admit, I've never read the book or seen the movie. In fact, I knew very little about the plot before seeing the show, besides, as I told Haley, that it was 'soulful'. Soulful it was. It was amazing and moving and funny and beautiful and sad and entertaining. What a great way to spend my Sunday night. I really do want to see the movie now. Not only b/c I heard the movie is slightly different but also b/c I'd like to see Celie all over again. And see how Whoopi Goldberg (an EGOT winner) did in this role. Last night I mistakenly said she won an Oscar for this role; she didn't. She won for her role in Ghost but she was nominated for playing Celie so I'd like to see how it compares to last night's amazing performances.

As a side note, related to the color purple, I'm a bit obsessed with it lately. I love purple. I'm not sure if it's b/c it reminds me of my childhood (things like My Little Pony, my first bike or rollerskates) or the fact that I read once in InStyle magazine that purple was coming back (even Sandra Bullock agrees). Either way, I've been looking for ways to subtly incorporate it into my home decor and fashion. I don't want to go full force and regret having tons of purple later but my new comforter has some slight purple hues and I'm sitting around in my new purple hoodie as I type this.

As the half marathon nears, friends have been planning some cheering locations and plan to have a color theme so we can easily spot them. I chose purple of course. The year of purple continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment