Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Christmas Vacation - Part 1

Because I've neglected blogging for over a week, I wanted to post a quick entry but pictures will come later. I'm enjoying 2 full weeks off (well, almost - I've had to work a bit here and there but it hasn't been too much) and part 1 of my time off was spent in the Northern Virginia/DC/Maryland area visiting family. I hadn't been there for the holidays in two years b/c last year my sister-in-law, Missy, was almost 8 months pregnant. Chris, Missy and I enjoyed a very quiet holiday in Austin! And while I missed that this year, it was nice to see family and snow!

Buster went with me and was an amazing traveler. He didn't bark or whine once and he was in his crate for quite awhile. People sitting in my row on the airplane were quite surprised to learn there was a dog under the seat in front of me. He and I were both a bit confused with how to deal with snow - he didn't really know how to 'relieve' himself and I somehow decided I couldn't run in it. So I ended up taking some time off from my half marathon training - oops.

We spent the first few days with my Dad in Burke, where I grew up. I saw my high school friend, Shannon and her daughter (and my god daughter) Ashleigh who is almost 7! I can't believe how time flies. Once Chris, Missy and Lucie arrived we had a family dinner at my Dad's house and then Christmas Eve dinner with our aunt, uncle, cousin, her husband and their three adorable girls.

On Christmas morning, after Lucie 'opened' her presents, we drove to Easton, MD, where my mom lives. I spent the next 4 days there, mostly watching Lucie, eating cookies, drinking wine and spending time with my Mom. Chris and Missy went on a vacation and left Lucie with us, which was so much fun. She's at such a fun age and is, seriously (and I know I'm biased) but the most easy going baby I've ever been around.

And today we flew back to Austin. I was ready to get home and get back to my life and routine here but I was so sad leaving this morning - more so than I normally am. While I see Lucie all the time in Austin, it's never for this extended period of time. It's for 30 minutes before she goes to bed most times. It was great to see how she's developing, what her favorite foods are (bananas and sweet potatoes), her favorite toys are (plastic kitchen spoons) and listen to her 'talk'.

But now I'm prepping for Part 2 - visits from friends. Leslie and Scott arrive tomorrow night and Pam, Adam and Teddy on Thursday (although they're not staying with me). I've been unpacking, doing laundry, hanging last minute pictures and overall trying to make my home feel as much like a home as possible for my first guests.

Tomorrow I'll pick up and assemble my kitchen table and pick up some necessary items. I was so happy to come home today and walk into my new house. It felt fun and exciting all over again!

I promise Part 2 will have pictures! Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment