Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Secret Weapon

Today was a beautiful winter day in Austin. It was chilly overnight but it quickly warmed up into the 60s with lots of sunshine. I had a productive day despite dealing with a slight head cold. I finished laundry and packed for my trip on Tuesday, bathed Buster and did some practice time in his travel crate, hung a few pictures, baked cookies and explored my neighborhood for the first time.



Kelsey and I took Buster on a walk around our neighborhood. Since I moved in 2 weeks ago it's either rained or it's too dark out to regularly walk Buster. Poor guy, who is used to at least one walk per day, hasn't had one in 2 weeks! So we walked for about 45 minutes and explored and sniffed (well, he sniffed, we didn't) and discovered some great paths and routes to take and ones to avoid. There is one street corner where, and I'm not kidding, there are 7 dogs - either roaming around with their owners or barking behind their fences. While they didn't bother us too much, I'm just as happy to avoid that street corner.



And, finally, I took my obligatory weekend trip to Home Depot. This time I took Buster with me (b/c you can take dogs to a lot of places in Austin - another reason I love this place so much). I walked in, knowing pretty much what I needed. I have two small holes in one of the remaining chain link fences along my side yard. Buster can certainly fit through it and his friend, Murray (Scott and Leslie's dog) is coming to visit next week, so I want to ensure their safety.



Nonetheless I still find Home Depot intimidating. I've long heard that Lowe's caters to women a bit more. They are more friendly and helpful and will actually walk you to an aisle rather than aimlessly point. But Home Depot is closer and more convenience and they allow dogs. What I quickly discovered is that Buster will always go with me to Home Depot. From the minute I walked in, everyone wanted to pet him (I mean he is fluffy and clean after his bath today) - random strangers and their small children and the staff. I had such immediate and thorough help and, thanks to Buster, it was pleasant and will keep me going back there, with him in tow.



So while I didn't get around to closing off the fence holes today. I am prepared to do so as soon as I get back next week and I look forward to many more trips to Home Depot - with my secret weapon, Buster.

No comments:

Post a Comment