Thursday, December 10, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree....



I'm heading to Northern Virginia and Maryland this Christmas for a week to visit with my family. Despite that, I still really wanted to get a tree. A real tree. Some of my greatest memories from my childhood are driving out to 'the country' (seriously it may have been 10 minutes away) to cut down a tree. They'd have apple cider and Christmas music playing and I have some faint recollection of snow being on the ground. But all of this could have been made up a bit. My memory isn't what it used to be. But the feelings of nostalgia I have around Christmas and the desire to capture those emotions are very real.

But I realize that I've been remiss about the other recent holiday we celebrated - Thanksgiving. I spent it here in Austin - mostly packing and house and dogsitting for my brother - but I'm reminded of all the things I'm grateful for. I've been keeping a gratitude journal for the past few years. Every night before I go to bed I write down 5 things I'm grateful for that day. I try not to repeat things but, inevitably, that happens. I try not to only list tangible items or food but that happens a lot, too. But this year, my list has only grown. Five things I'm grateful for (in no particular order) are:
  • My niece, Lucie. She's brought so much joy to my life this year. I had no idea how much I'd love living near her. Hence the reason I bought a house and am settled her for awhile.....


  • My dog, Buster. Despite the sadness of losing Max earlier this year Buster has helped me heal and love again.


  • My job. During these tough economic times and an unemployment rate of 10%, I'm grateful for a job I love and a promotion this year.


  • My friends and family. There are too many to name and fear of leaving people off but you know who you are.


  • Chocolate chip cookies. They're a treat for all occasions.

So the coming weeks will be hectic. Buster and I leave for the holidays on December 22. Until then, I'll be busy with trips to Target, Ikea and the grocery store (which I need more than I can express. I found myself, sadly, going to an unnamed fast food restaurant yesterday b/c I still haven't had time to buy groceries). Upon my return to Austin, some of my best friends are coming to Austin- Leslie and Scott and Pam, Adam and Teddy! I can't wait for their visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment