Sunday, December 6, 2009

Home Sweet Home


Yesterday was the big day - I moved. Officially. Austin has experienced some wacky weather this week, too. We had snow flurries on Friday and then a hard freeze over night. So I woke up to 25 degree temps and a car covered in ice but that wasn't going to impact me or my excitement.





I've been living out of a suitcase and boxes for weeks and, sadly, just because I'm in my new house doesn't mean that changes. I keep waiting for the moving elves to show up and help unpack and organize my stuff but so far no luck. Kelsey and Devon were a close second to that, though, yesterday.




As you can imagine, it was a hectic morning - movers arriving at the old house, Best Buy stopping by new house to check on my dryer that had an 'error' message (note: not an error message; just a friendly reminder. sigh) and the contractor building my fence also arriving to my new house. All between the hours of 8 and 10:30. How am I supposed to be in two places at once? Thanks to Kelsey, I didn't need to be.

Surprisingly, everything went smoothly and I've only found one casualty from the move. The movers only dropped one box the entire time and despite the fact that it included my Christmas ornaments, only one item broke.

After a quick trip to Target for some essentials, Devon came over to help tackle the unpacking. We made some great headway in the kitchen and family room and got my bed and shower ready for use so that I can truly function here.



In the midst of all the unpacking last night, there was a knock at my door and a neighbor, Bonnie, stopped by to welcome me to the neighborhood. She's our street's rep for the neighborhood association and was super friendly (and also has a dog named Buster!). After she left, I looked to Devon beaming with happiness - so excited for friendly neighbors and feeling part of a community!

I wish I could say that my first night of sleep in my house was magical but it wasn't. Despite Buster doing so well all week adjusting to all the change, he did not do well over night. He was up from 2:30 to 7 (when I finally officially got out of bed), wanting to go in and out and just pacing the house (note: hard wood floors and dogs nails are not easily tuned out). So now as I drink my second cup of coffee (in my new house!!!) and plan my day, he's back in bed, sleeping. Hopefully I can squeeze a nap in later but it's ok if I don't because I have many years to nap in this house.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Buster already has a new friend named Buster. Yippee for your new home!

    ReplyDelete