Friday, September 7, 2012

Breakfast Anyone?

I have been waiting to say (or type) these words for months....We have eggs!

Finally, some of the chickens started laying eggs and I am ecstatic (I almost typed eggstatic on purpose but then thought it was cheesy but I sort of couldn't resist anyway).

Our five chickens turn 6 months old next week but since they turned 4 months old (which is typically the earliest chickens will lay eggs) I have been anxiously awaiting this day.  Due to the heat and the fact that they are less likely to lay eggs during extreme temperatures, I was trying to be patient.

So today when I went to let them out in the morning and saw two brown, perfect looking eggs I screamed.  I literally was jumping up and down in our yard like I'd just won a game show.  I even scared Buster a little bit.

So while it's hard to tell if one or two of them have finally started taking some action, I'm hoping that they will soon all follow suit since they all seem to do the same thing all the time already.

We've been collecting empty egg cartons for months and finally got to use one of them today to put the two little eggs in.  I'll wait to eat them with Carl when he gets home this weekend and hopefully we'll be able to share other eggs with our friends and neighbors who have part of the chicken stock.

Luckily for these chickens this happened.  Carl was threatening them with chicken soup and rotisserie chicken warnings.  Whatever works! I just hope the 104 degree day we had today won't put a stop to their production.

No comments:

Post a Comment