Monday, August 6, 2012

Wedding Platform

Upon getting engaged, Carl and I quickly divided up duties and tasks. I am much more suited for things like organizing, check lists, spreadsheets and overall planning. Carl is much more suited for things like lighting, beer selecting and building.  We both agree that neither of us would be very good at the other's skill sets. That being said, there are times when we have to enlist each other for help. Carl graciously listens to me explain options and choices and reviews pictures of things.  I'm not always as gracious helping him with his projects, though. Mostly because I'm not very good at manual labor (at least not since my Americorps days) and it's hot out and all of his work occurs outside.  The last time I did anything land prep related was way back when in the spring (I am wearing a jacket in the picture I took that day) and I helped chip cedar trees.  So this past weekend I decided to help Carl with his biggest project of all - the deck we'll get married on.

From the beginning, Carl envisioned the platform we'd get married on - centered around the beautiful view over the ridge.  He enlisted several of his contractor friends and has planned every detail and already spent a lot of time working on building it.  This weekend his brothers and dad are coming into town to help him to put the roof and floor on and to run wire for the lighting.   Again, things I'm not very good at. But I do know how to paint and that's just what I helped him with this past weekend.  I didn't get a picture of it after we painted (we painted the steel beams a slate silver) but the other pictures show the progression of his construction.

Carl continues to impress me as he has put so much time and energy into this deck.  While he may not be good with checklists and planning, I know that his language of love is sometimes through construction.  In just a few short months we'll get married on this platform and all this time and energy will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment