Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Year Later....


Carl and I celebrated our one year anniversary this past weekend. It's hard to believe that it's been one year since our first date - burgers at lunch on a cold Friday afternoon (yes, he was still wearing flip flops). But what a great year it's been!

We didn't do much to celebrate this weekend since we were with his family in Houston but that was just as important to me. I've met them all several times now but this was the first time to spend an entire weekend with them and to celebrate a holiday. His family is very different than mine - bigger and louder for sure - but also so loving and kind (that's not the part that's different from mine). I feel like a part of their family when I'm with them and so appreciate that.

I actually think that Stewart Family Christmas is much like Carroll Family Christmas, which is my mom's side of the family. She, too, is one of 5 children and there were 12 grandchildren (to the Stewart's current 7). I have such fond memories of my childhood holidays with all my aunts, uncles and cousins, that maybe that's why it all felt so comfortable and familiar.

I also now have a better idea of how my parents probably coped with the chaos - wine! I had enough to put me to bed (with the lights on) by 10pm. Feeling great the next morning, though, we headed back to Austin. I'm just grateful that I ran my 6 mile run before the wine drinking started.

I won't make this a sappy blog post about how great Carl is and how happy I am that he's in my life but suffice it to say we're in a great place and I look forward to many more years with him.

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you and Carl! I miss you and hope you have an amazing holiday season!!! Give your family and friends my love! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary you two! Here's to many more and a lifetime of happiness! XO

    ReplyDelete