Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Traditions







As previously described, I'm a big fan of traditions, especially around the holidays. Some traditions I have with my friends include volunteering with Coats for Kids. I try to find ways to regularly volunteer and this is one event that I really enjoy and look forward to giving my time to. Both Haley and Devon are in the Junior League, which puts on the event every year. It's a great chance to support those in the Austin community who may not have coats to keep their kids warm. I know, it's a bit ironic to worry about coats in Austin, but we have had a cold spell already and our blood is thin here! I need coats (at least 10...)



So Kelsey, Devon, Haley and I started our weekend with an early wake up call to volunteer. I'm already committed to next year and can't wait until Devon and Haley take over this committee and make tons of improvements!



The next tradition this weekend was watching the movie Love Actually. For the past several years, my girlfriends and I have gotten together to watch this movie, all while wearing comfy clothes and eating junk food. This year, we decided to make the event bigger and rented out the Alamo for a morning brunch event and invite other friends to join us. To make it more fun, we did a toy drive for Toys for Tots and had a bingo game to fundraise for Jen's half marathon. The whole event was a huge success and I hope we do it, again, next year!



The final (new) tradition this year was some crafting projects at Devon's house. This time we made some hot chocolate mix and mini gingerbread houses. It was tons of fun and I think our houses make a cute little village.



So it was a quite a busy weekend but full of fun things. This coming weekend I'm going with Carl to Houston to celebrate Christmas with his family. I'm looking forward to seeing what their traditions are!



No comments:

Post a Comment