Tuesday, November 8, 2011

NYC



This past weekend, Devon, Haley, Nicole and I went to NY to cheer on Kelsey who was running her first marathon. I was actually there for work, to cheer on all Team LIVESTRONG runners, but it was extra special for me that I got to see Kelsey run, too.



She has trained so hard for this, during the roughest months in Austin. She's run at 4am, weekends, on treadmills and even 17 miles back and forth underneath the Mopac Bridge (1/3 mile each way) during a torrential (the one and only) rain storm last month.



So I had no doubt she could do it!



She'd entered into the NYC Marathon lottery for the past two years and this year she got in and raised money for LIVESTRONG. And she'd never been to NYC before! How perfect was this trip?



Not only did she finish it, she exceeded her goal, completing it in 4:46 - an amazing feat! It's always inspirational to watch marathoners, but even more so to watch a friend. She knew to look for us around mile 18 and the excitement on her face says it all. She felt great and looked great. Jim and I ran with her for about a mile to give her a pep talk and distraction. I like to think that really carried her through the finish.



So not only does Kelsey continue to inspire me, but all the marathoners do. I spoke the words aloud this weekend and I'll write them here. I will do a marathon before I'm 40. That gives me almost 5 years. While I don't think it'll be next year, I'll keep you posted on 2013.



Devon and I took an extra day in NYC to relax and shop. It was so relaxing (and clearly needed) that I had the following conversation following a pedicure:



Me: 'Devon, I'm sleepy but don't know why because I've gotten plenty of sleep.'

Devon: 'Are you just relaxed?'

Me: 'Huh?'

Devon: 'Have you forgotten how it feels to be relaxed?'

Me: 'It seems that way.'



So I now confusion relaxation and calmness with sleepiness. Clearly I need to find more ways to relax.....

No comments:

Post a Comment