Sunday, October 30, 2011

Mindfulness Project - October Update

Even though October isn't quite over, it's very close to ending and the next few days will be busy so I thought I'd take time while I could to provide an update on my October goals. This month was focused on health and wellness. Specifically for me it included:

1. Beginning to run again
2. Meeting with a nutritionist
3. Getting a physical
4. Getting my annual dental cleaning

And just overall a focus on my emotional and physical health.

I feel like this was one of the best month's ever. I was super busy with work (traveled each week) but it was good to have such a specific focus.

I did start running again, slowly. Literally I am very slow and having to walk a lot, which is so sad because it wasn't that long ago that I ran a half marathon. But you have to start somewhere and with the temperatures cooling off, this is my favorite time of year to run.

I also decided to meet with a nutritionist. I've been toying with this idea for a number of years (I even had an initial consultation with her a few years ago). But lately I just haven't been feeling great. I've had upset stomachs, headaches and I'm not sleeping well and my acne was getting bad again!

So I met with Carly from Nutritional Wisdom who a number of my colleagues have worked with. She's pretty intense but also very direct. After my initial meeting with her and a lengthy discussion, we both agreed that I'm in good health but that clearly something I'm eating isn't agreeing with me. So I completed a two week detox where I couldn't have dairy, grains, alcohol or caffeine. And while it was tough at times, especially when I was on the road, overall I felt great and sleeping better.

I'm now on a two week maintenance plan where I can introduce some grains, some dairy (goat and sheep's milk) and have some wine. Which, to be honest, were some of the things I've missed the most. I've been enjoying drinking herbal tea instead of coffee (which I never thought I'd say) and I haven't missed sweets at all.

Over the course of this maintenance plan we'll track what I'm eating and see how different things make me feel. It's obvious that if you eat crap, you'll feel like crap but sometimes I just need a reminder.

I also went for a routine physical, which I hadn't done in years. I got my cholesterol tested and everything was all in normal range. Getting my teeth cleaned wasn't hard for me, but since it happened to fall into this month I figure I should get credit for it.

So all in all I feel great about this month. Not only b/c I did things that felt good for me but they are also sustainable and helpful for more than just this month.

Onto November, where my focus is on relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment