Tuesday, October 18, 2011

LIVESTRONG Challenge

Every year I participate in some capacity in our annual LIVESTRONG Challenge. It's our signature fundraising event and includes a run/walk and bike ride. I've been both a volunteer and participant. Each year I'm so impressed by my colleagues who put the event on and am honored to support them.

This year I both volunteered and ran the 5k (well, ran/walked it). It's a tradition that Devon and I do the 5k together (our runniversary) and I look forward to it every year. It's also the kick off to my training season each year. Specifically the LIVESTRONG half marathon in February.

It was also an especially poignant event for me as a colleague and friend of mine just lost her husband to cancer. He was only 37 and had been battling his disease for over 12 years. For some reason this loss hit me especially hard and I thought about them a lot during the event. Not only does participating in the Challenge make me so proud of where I work but it reminds me why I do the work I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment