Saturday, October 23, 2010

Like Riding a Bike?

They say that you never forget how to ride a bike. That it comes right back to you as soon as you get on one again. I've actually found this to be true. I got a bike as an adult and quickly felt comfortable on it, remembering fond times on my purple Schwinn 10 speed I had a kid.

So why doesn't running feel this way? I mean I know I don't forget how to run but after only a few short weeks not running, it does feel like you have to start from square one (or at least two or three) again. But maybe that's just me?

I ran 3 miles today for the first time since the half marathon from three weeks ago. I've purposely been taking time off from running b/c I'll start training for the next half marathon in a few weeks. But boy did 3 miles feel tough. Admittedly it was hilly and we did walk some but geez.

But the most important thing about the run was why I was there. It was LIVESTRONG's annual Austin Challenge. What started as annual bike event in Austin to raise money for LIVESTRONG, turned into an entire weekend affair, 5k and all, several years ago.

I've participated in this event for the past few years - as staff, volunteer and runner - and am always so impressed with it. I'm also reminded of what a great job I have and how lucky I am to work for an organization that has such a powerful mission and dedicated employees.

And boy did I need that reminder. Lately, work has felt tough. To be honest, it's felt tough for about 6 months but I've had a bit of a bad attitude lately and I needed this. I needed to be reminded why I do the work I do and while little things may still annoy me that they are nothing compared to the amazing feeling I get truly impacting people's lives.

So thank you to the LIVESTRONG Challenge for that reminder and to my running and volunteering buddy, Devon, for making me laugh so much this weekend and trying to redirect me from walking in vomit.

No comments:

Post a Comment