Monday, October 4, 2010

Half Full Tri

I know it's been a long time since I've posted. I wish I had a good excuse but life's just been busy. I've been traveling almost every week for work and when I have been home I've had a million things to do, including waiting for my new niece to be born! While I still can't imagine how I'll love her as much as I love Lucie, I know I will and I'm very excited to meet her - two weeks or less and counting!

In the meantime, this past weekend, I participated in my last triathlon (relay) this season and my second half marathon this year. I'll be honest, it was a doozie.

As you may recall, I trained pretty hard for the Austin half marathon in February. Kelsey and I ran 5 days a week and followed our training plan almost exactly. This time, I trained by myself. I missed a number of long runs, mostly ran on a treadmill b/c it was too hot outside and the furthest I ran was 9 miles and that was almost 3 weeks ago. This course was tough. While the weather was ideal (cloudy and 60s) there were more hills than I expected.

All this to say that I didn't perform quite as well as I did in February but I'm still very proud of myself - crossing the finish line at 2 and a half hours - granted the first 7 miles I felt like a rock star and the last 6 I thought I wanted to die. But it was for a good cause I'm so happy to have participated in this event.

Devon and Colleen were the other legs of our team and did a great job. Considering the cold water (and outdoor) temps, Devon was a champ - wetsuit and all. Colleen had the hilliest riding course ever but still managed to remain true to why we were there - to support the thousands of young adults diagnosed with cancer each year - and helped a cancer survivor on the side of the road who had a flat.

Not only did I enjoy the event, my parents got to see me finish a race for the first time! It was so great to see them at the finish line and know how proud they were of me.

All in all, a great day, a great team and a great performance. I'm a bit sore but will recover soon and plan to run, what may be my last half marathon, next February for the Austin (LIVESTRONG) marathon. Until Thanksgiving, though, I can take some time off from running and spend that extra time with my niece(s).
Here we are. The big winners in the category for 'All Female Relay Team Who Traveled the Farthest':

No comments:

Post a Comment