Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Triathlon Season

That's right, it's triathlon season. Why this season occurs during the hottest months is Texas is beyond me but I suppose we're not the only participants. For the past few years, I've been participating in triathlons, as the relay running leg, with different friends. Devon is always the swimming leg and I'm always the running leg (no pun intended) but we have various friends who (when not participating in a full triathlon by themselves) are our biking leg. This summer, we're off to a bit of a slower start but I'm gearing up for a busy fall of events.

I haven't run much since the half marathon in February. I tend to take time off from running after training so much and as it got hotter out, my desire to run dramatically decreased. So I've been swimming and taking pilates and still feel in pretty good shape. But, the time was coming. Training time.

For some crazy reason, I decided to do two more half marathons this year. Does participating in 3 half marathons in one year mean I've run a marathon and a half? Probably not.

The Ulman Cancer Fund (founded and named after LIVESTRONG's CEO, Doug Ulman, who is a 3 time cancer survivor) is hosting the Half Full Tri on October 3 in Columbia, MD. Devon, Haley and I are competing as a relay team and the running leg this time is a half marathon. This is the furthest relay event we'll have all competed in together and I'm excited! But, I'm also nervous. I started running last week and had a really hard time.

First, because it's so hot out that even if I run first thing in the morning it's usually already 80 degrees and, second, b/c I've been battling horrible allergies for weeks. I haven't been sleeping well, I'm congested, coughing and this past weekend my ears started to hurt. Knowing I'm getting on an airplane in a few days I finally sucked it up and went to the doctor yesterday.

Turns out, I have an ear infection. So I'm now on tons of meds and already sleeping a little better. And it was worth it. Today I went for a 3 mile run and felt great. While it was slow and I'm already a little sore, I did it and I felt really good the whole time. It gave me hope that I can get through these events.

So for those friends who live close to Columbia, MD, come on out and cheer us on in October! I can't promise I'll be as well trained or 'fast' as I was in February but I'll be there. Until then, I'll be looking for ways to train in Texas somehow avoiding the heat.

1 comment:

  1. I had an ear infection a week or so ago! Way to go on the training. I've never run more than 2 miles and it about killed me and that was when I was playing soccer 7 days a week...I can't imagine what it would do to me now (-:

    ReplyDelete