Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

I'm hopeful that anyone that reads this blog also knows that today is my birthday. If not, then it may creep me out a little that a stranger is reading this. Either way, I'm officially 34. I've been rounding up for awhile so I'm used to the number. The thing that's odd is that I'm actually in my 35th year. It is weird to think that I'm in my mid-30s.

Please know that what follows is by no means a pity party - I'm actually quite happy with my life and have a lot of great things going for me. But I know that many people (including myself) may not have pictured that in my mid-30s I'd still be single and not have kids or any other societal expectation placed on a woman my age.

I remember in high school, that a friend of mine (in fact a few) guessed that I'd be the last one to get married. Turns out they were right. What was it about me, even back then, that meant I'd be likely to marry later in life?

I'll be honest, though, I've often worn this as a badge of honor - something that meant I wasn't going to settle easily (not that I think my friends have settled....). And, don't get me wrong, I'm still happy that I didn't marry any of the exes of my past. But, believe it or not, I do wish for some of those things. I don't like feeling like the odd one - who hasn't followed the traditional path of getting married or having kids. But if I'm ok with it, I sure hope those that love me are as well.

I've had a lot of great things happen in my life in the past year or so - I've become an aunt, a homeowner, a dog owner (again), promoted at work and all in all continue to have a great life. So, despite the soliloquy above, I promise I am happy. To all my friends who may be concerned or want me to 'hurry up and have kids', just know that I'm very happy. I feel so lucky to have such great friends, family and a job that challenges me every day.

So I welcome my 35th year wholeheartedly. How can I not after the lovely, spontaneous poem my friends wrote for me at dinner tonight:



For translation:

Mellie, we love you

This is a day good for flan

Love her like Anthro

Wow, the way she looks tonight

Good night sweet Mellie

1 comment: