Sunday, August 15, 2010

I Heart Organizing

If being organized was an addiction, I would totally have it. Wait, I guess it is? It's just that it's not a bad addiction? Or is it? I'll admit, sometimes I get paralyzed from moving forward until I've organized things. Sometimes I can't even think straight unless I have a to-do list. So maybe I am addicted? Oh well, I'm ok with that.

This weekend's project was about organizing my utility/laundry room. Exciting, huh?

Since I moved in, it's just been used as storage, hodgepodge and other such things. I have some leftover shelves from my closet build out so I went back to the Container Store and cut them to size and asked Ken to come over and hang them (I still don't own a drill).

This project also forced me to get rid of some things. Even though I'm organized, I tend to hold onto things too long - for good and bad reasons. One thing that I've had for more than half my life is a bookshelf that my brother built for me. I was on vacation with a girlfriend for my 16th birthday and came home to a newly constructed bookshelf that was built to fit my stereo I'd also gotten for my birthday.

It's held so much sentimental value and has been one of the few items that has moved with me the most - to Boston, back to DC and finally to Austin (and multiple moves here). But it's time to let it go. Not because I don't love it anymore but because it simply doesn't fit - both physically and emotionally into my life anymore. It represents my past and I'll always love and appreciate the fact that my brother made it for me. But my future is clearly in Elfa shelves. I'm such a grown up!

Needless to say this bookshelf was in my utility room. Ken helped me move it to my curb (not only b/c people will take anything in my neighborhood but also b/c tomorrow is bulk pick-up day). After he successfully hung the shelves, I got to organize them and the rest of the small (but important) space in there.

So while it may not look exciting to you I'm thrilled. Now I can put my recycling in there and get my suitcases without injuring myself.

Thanks, Ken!


1 comment:

  1. beautiful!!!! I did the same with our garage this summer!!! LOVE shelves. Nice job on letting something go too....I ransacked the house this summer and got rid of LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of stuff...it felt great!!!!

    ReplyDelete