Thursday, March 8, 2012

Carl's Namesake

Carl's grandfather, the original Carl Stewart passed away last weekend. He had been sick for awhile and recently moved into an assisted living home. So while his passing was expected it's still sad nonetheless.

Knowing his grandfather was ailing, we drove down to Houston last Friday to spend time with his family, especially his grandmother. I hadn't met his grandparents before and was really glad to get to spend some time with his grandmother and the rest of this family.

Carl's grandfather donated his body to science so there wasn't a formal memorial service; however everyone got together at Carl's brother's house. I met many aunts and uncles and some cousins. It was just like being around my extended family - loud and with lots of kids.

I'm always surprised when my generation's grandparents are still living. Sadly, I lost all of mine before I graduated high school, most before I was even in middle school. I have great memories of my grandparents, though, and am envious of people who still have them in their lives.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to know the original Carl Stewart. Getting to spend even more time with Carl's family and extended family was nice, though. Every time I'm with them I feel more and more like part of the family and even became 'Aunt Melissa' to some of his nieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment