Wednesday, February 22, 2012

RIP Sugar

I've been meeting with Carly Pollack, from Nutritional Wisdom, for a few months now. I started working with her to adjust my diet to see if it impacted my sleep. Turns out, if you eat well, you sleep well.....go figure?

I've been having some other minor medical issues (upset stomach, acne, dry skin) for the past month and talked to her about it. She suggested I get tested for a yeast allergy. I'll save the testing process from this blog as it's a bit graphic and not very lady-like.

My test came back positive for two different yeasts. Gross. A lot of yeast overgrowth is due to many things....some is just a lifetime of eating too much sugar and some due to being on antibiotics for a lot of my life. We all have yeast in our body and it's a balancing act. When you're on antibiotics, though, yeast is suppressed to treat your infection. Once you go off the antibiotics, yeast overgrowth can occur. Therein lies my problem.

So the only way to beat it (unless I want to go on yet more medicine) is to do a full detox and get the yeast overgrowth out of my system. So for the next month I am not allowed sugar, dairy, soy, alcohol or yeast (obviously). It's not that drastically different than how I eat (mostly meat and veggies) but I do enjoy my wine and periodic cheese so it will be a long month. All that being said, I'm really looking forward to tackling this. I knew there was something else going on and am very optimistic this will address some of my current annoying issues.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment