Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ruffin' It

It's been a busy few weeks. I've been out of town for the past three weekends and several more are on the horizon. Three weekends ago I was in Orlando, Florida for work. Needless to say, I don't love Florida. I was there for as long as I needed to for the conference and did enjoy some time by the pool but it was mostly work.

Two weekends ago Carl, Buster and I went camping out at Carl's land in Dripping Springs. It was my first time camping with him and, to be honest, my first time camping in years. I like to camp. In fact, I love it. I really enjoy being removed from the hectic world and sitting by a campfire.

This camping trip was extra fun, though, because it was with Carl. He's so comfortable camping that it makes me feel completely at ease. Leading up to our camping trip, we stopped off for a little introductory rock climbing. My mom does not want to know that I'm trying rock climbing so I'll spare all the details but I really had fun! I'm not afraid of heights so that didn't worry me. We did some pretty easy climbs to teach me the ropes (literally). I completely trust Carl and since climbing is such a big part of his life, I want it to be part of mine (albeit on a much smaller scale right now).

We then headed out to the land, Buster and some food in tow and built a fire (well, Carl built, I watched...but I did later have to build my own fire and remembered everything he had done). It ended up getting quite chilly that night (below freezing). Little Buster was shivering until I snuggled him inside my jacket.

But it was an amazing night. The stars outside a city skyline are breathtaking and I loved enjoying this with Carl. We stayed in his Airstream Trailer that night. And while it kept us from the elements it didn't have heat. Once I nestled into my sleeping bag, I began to feel my toes again and I slept great!

I think the morning time is my favorite. Making coffee over the fire, watching the sun creep up across the sky and seeing the world wake up, is pretty cool.

We then spent the day on his land, with his friends. They climbed, I watched (this time) and we then cooked out on the fire again (the one I built). All in all it was a great weekend. Not only because I had a great time - because I did - but because it was so important to Carl. He loves his land and I'm growing to more and more every time I'm out there. So is Buster.....


1 comment: