Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Motherly Duties

Since Sunday I've been staying at my brother's house, taking care of Lucie. Both Chris and Missy had work trips out of town and asked me to help out. How could I say no?

We had tons of fun and I really enjoyed the quality time, especially in the morning, I had with her. I know I'm biased but she is truly the sweetest thing alive. How she makes monkey noises, waves goodbye to me when she's in her crib and ready to go to sleep, how much she loves Buster and the special kisses she gives to her Tia Mellie (that's me!).

And while I have no idea if I'll ever be a mom, it all feels very comfortable to me to be around her - to feed her, change her diapers, snuggle with her while she drinks her juice before bed. I'm so lucky to live near her and get to be such an active part of her life. I know that I'll love Baby Sileo #2 just as much but that's hard to imagine right now.

Last night, Devon, Jen and her two girls, Larkin and Layne, came over for a play date after work. Larkin and Lucie are 6 months apart and we threw on their bathing suits, lathered them up with sunscreen and bug spray and placed them in the 4 inch deep baby wading pool. They basically ignored each other but it was fun to have them together and have time with my friends. All while drinking a beer.

We were wondering if all moms relax with cocktails once the kids are safe in bed or playing with other kids? Did my mom do that? Was she enjoying a beer while I enjoyed my juice? I mean I totally understand why. Being a mom is exhausting and I have so much respect for my friends that do it full time.

So from one maternal home to another, I'm back at my house with Buster. This time, instead of changing diapers, I'm killing a fly. Buster (and I) hate flies. They are so annoying and he, literally, hides under the bed. So I feel that it's my duty as his dog-mom to make this problem go away. And, as it did with Lucie, it feels great to know that I can take care of those I love.

3 comments:

  1. Yes - Aurora understands difference between Rora juice and mommy juice ;) Hahaha! Lucie is SO sweet - and very lucky to have such a great tia nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes....mommies drink mommy juice (-: It is exhausting, but oh so rewarding at the same time...and um...BABY #2????? SAWEET!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and oh my goodness...I just took another look at sweet Lucie...she looks like YOU!!!!!! You and your bro look a lot alike...but I totally saw you when I looked at her (-: fun stuff. love ya

    ReplyDelete