Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sonoma




My stretch of vacations and birthday celebrations has come to an end. While I'm sad to see them end, I'm also happy to get back to a normal life, with semi-regular work hours, not drinking every day and exercising regularly.

Sonoma was my final big trip for the year. It was planned months (maybe even years) ago with Jess to celebrate our respective birthdays. Not only was the trip amazing and beautiful, but it was so great to spend 4 days with Jess - something we've never done before!

After an early flight and a beautiful drive up the coast to West Sonoma where we were staying, we spent the next few days eating good food, drinking good wine, enjoying cool mornings, sitting by the pool, drinking more good wine and going to bed very early.

In many ways, the wine country was everything I thought it would be - beautiful, great temps and relaxing. We treated ourselves to massages one day and a driver one day so we could partake in all the wine tastings we want. Turns out, 5 in one day is more than enough for us. By the fifth place you can't really discern if you're drinking good wine anymore.

With over 300 wineries in the area we stayed in, we decided to focus on some of the smaller, more boutique-like wineries and vineyards. Big estate ones aren't really our speed and since we had a limited time, you just need to choose.

Luckily, Jess and I travel well together and had similar ideas of how to spend our days and nights - going to bed by 10 most nights, up around 7 and then a full day of activities. While I really hope I go back one day, I'll always remember this trip fondly. Now time for a detox......

Note: I'm having trouble uploading pictures but will try again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment