Friday, December 24, 2010

Remembering

The first Lucy in my life (besides the Peanut's character) was Lucy Sather, Jess's dog. She was an adorable creature that I fell in love with shortly after I met Jess in 2004 when I moved to Austin.

Sadly, last week, Lucy suddenly got sick and after many tests it was determined she had suffered from some strokes and had bleeding on her brain.

Jess and Ken got to bring her home for a few days but eventually made the tough decision to say goodbye, knowing her quality of life wasn't the same.

I know how hard the loss of a pet is. It's one of the hardest things I've been through but it's also a true reflection of the impact they have on your life. The pain and sadness is all worth it (although believe me it doesn't feel that way at the time) because it just means you loved them so much.

I am aware that Buster's little life will be over before mine and it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. But it also makes me aware of how much I should take advantage of every moment we have together.

I'm honored that I got to be such a big part of Lucy's life. I will always remember what a great singer she was, her licking mine and Jess's legs after long runs (mmmm....salt) and her beautiful eyes. Lucy also inspired me to get my own dog. After knowing her for a year I decided to get Max. I am forever grateful that she led me to that path.

I already miss Lucy and wish I could take the sadness away from Jess and Ken's life. But I do know it will get easier and that we're all lucky to have known her.

No comments:

Post a Comment