Saturday, November 28, 2009

Walk Through - check



Today, I met my agent for my final walk through of the house before closing on Monday. My friend, Kelsey, (who will also be a close neighbor) joined me for both moral support and closet measuring.

I'll admit it - I felt a little overwhelmed for maybe the first time.

This has all happened pretty fast. Most of you know that once I set my mind to something I usually accomplish it. This was no exception. I started toying around with the idea of home ownership the first week of October. Yes, just 7 short weeks ago. And here I am, closing on a home in two days.

While I'm a practical, responsible person, I also tend to follow my instincts and gut. It's not that they don't lead me astray occasionally but I still follow them.....

When I first walked into this home with my agent last month, I just knew. It felt right from the minute we crossed the threshold. It has the charm of an old cottage bungalow but since it's been recently updated (note: 98% redone) I feel good knowing that I have new plumbing, new appliances and pretty much new everything.

But that doesn't mean it's not overwhelming.

It's a powerful feeling to know that you've accomplished something on your own (well, mostly, I can't ignore the fact that I've gotten help from my parents, brother and friends all along). But it's also scary to realize that you're now responsible for this - for better or worse.

As someone who's never been married or had children, I imagine this feeling is similar to those moments of commitments. I applaud those who have made these big commitments. For now, I'm just trying to stay focused on making lists, packing and containing my fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment